Does your body and looks affect how you are treated in the workplace?







I have always been very aware of my body. Growing up, I was growing very fast, so I was taller than most boys, super skinny, and no boobs in sight. Boys didn't think it was cool that I was taller than them and they made fun of me not having boobs. So I was made fun of for being too skinny. Who would think that was possible. As I got into college and played college sports, I was beginning to bulk up and suddenly was a walking muscle which soon the boys didn't like that I was so "buff" (my thoughts how can I win too skinny, to buff) I didn't have some sexy body like on TV. Then as I went on to get married and have kids, my body totally changed; I got hips, boobs the total women's body and I  had a baby stretch marks and more. Once again, since I was not use to having this type of body, I found myself again feeling very insecure about my body. Since I had kids later in life my body wasn't bouncing back like if I was in my 20s I actually had my son at 34 and they told me I was a geriatric patient if you can see me I am shaking my head right now cause nothing like that comment to give you a nice stab at my already body conscious issues.


My point is all these stereotypes exist all around us. In our American culture, you have worth if you are skinny, beautiful, and have that perfect life you post on your social media. The stigma of a women's body does affect how she is treated in the workplace and in life in general. Studies have shown that there is discrimination in the workplace if a person had a body considered "fat." Studies show people think that overweight people are lazy, lack self-control, and cannot be good leaders. Very often, studies show people who are deserving of promotions but if they are overweight they often passed over, and someone that is more appealing looking but less qualified is picked.

Rebecca Pearl, a psychologist and assistant professor in the department of psychiatry at the Univerity of Pennsylvania, stated, "women are more likely than men to suffer the fallout from such stereotypes. And women's attractiveness can have an impact on their careers."

What?????????

Well, if we didn't have a complex yet, now we do! UGGGGG

And to be honest, I have experienced this type of discrimination across the board. I have been told I am too cute, too pretty, too young to be worthy of sitting at the table. And yes, bosses have tried to get me to go on dates with them and propositioned me for sex as well. Being the smart women I am that has self-worth I said no to all and pushed my way to the top the good old fashion way of hard work and proving I am worthy but ..........

I am sitting here thinking how in the world can you ascertain all of that about a person from looking at their body. In my experience, I have found many unique looking people that sure at first I'll be honest I stereotyped as well, but then I got to know them and realized their worth, their potential their skills and their looks and body did not dictate their skill level. Not every woman needs to look like Barbie to be amazing and successful. We all have different bodies and 95% of us are not going to look like those housewives on TV.

So when we look at the protected classes in an organization, we see pregnant women, disabled, veterans, and elderly but no protected class for women who don't have Barbie boodies. So how many women are not getting hired because they don't have that body. Weight is such a subjective thing with women, we gain weight for a variety of reasons and as well don't take it off as fast as men and our bodies are our bodies.


 Oh and let's not forget we have babies where we carry them for 9 months, gain weight, they rip themselves out of our bodies, and we are supposed to pull it all back together in 8 weeks and be back to work, after having 9 months of our bodies being stretch to capacity while we have a little a baby that has to eat every two hours. Ok, am I being a bit sarcastic yes but it's all true, I think society forgets how well we women multi-task and how hard it is to keep a perfect body in the world of the women and we shouldn't have to be perfect. 

Let's change the stereotypes, and when you are in the office talk about how much you love your body, you love yourself and show people any body type is ok as long as you love your body and body does not dictate your skills or your worth, you dictate that. Let's get rid of diet conversations and conversations of all the things we hate about our bodies. Don't be afraid to love who you are as you can see in the pict below I never take myself too seriously.



Your authentic Friend

Dr. Julie Ducharme

www.drjulieducharme.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why doesnt equal ever seem to work when sharing family Household duties?

Surviving Motherhood and being a working mom