Is multi-tasking a Myth?




I teach a class where the first module always has students review a video from a man about multi-tasking and how it is a myth and that people can’t do this. I find this very hard to believe. Why because I am a time management guru and I’ll just be honest as women who have regularly written on proven research that women hold close to 70-90% of the household duties and as well as their own work duties. So as a man is preaching to me in this video about management he leaves out some key things like what do you do if you have a child on your lap while trying to do your remote work or who helps with your children while you have to do a conference call cause you can't afford to get a babysitter. There are just many factors in the world we live in and the multi-tasking that has to happen. How many of us women have had a baby in one arm bouncing them while stirring a pot of cooking food and talking on the phone. That is multi-tasking at its best and yes, we are doing it all at the same time. My husband constantly has to remind me that many well most people don't run at the pace I run and he says, I run at a superhuman pace running multiple companies, teaching, making it to all my kid's sports, plays, and making it home to throw together a meal but at the same time I have a system that works for me and I think that is what we all have to do.



Now I do not want to minimize anyone who needs to run at a much slower pace because you have to find what works for you. I always preach be who you are and embrace it and I always say embrace the good and not so great things about us. If we know what we are weak in we can learn to set ourselves up for better success, it might be just saying no to something that we know we are not going to do well at. For example, if you are always late and someone wants you to be at an event and needs you to be their early maybe that isn't the best thing for you if you can't get there on time.


It took some time for me to accept my areas of weakness and realize I had to say no sometimes. It's a tough thing for me to accept because I wanted to be everything and I wanted to be the best at all of it. I had such plans to be that mom then reality hit.



There is this cute movie I don't know how she does it, that I watched and thought wow this movie gets me. I put this cute trailer in there for you all. 

I know we are coming up on 5 months of kids being home nonstop and some schools are talking about not even opening in the fall. So this new type of multi-tasking world where we have kids with us nonstop just go more complicated. So hold on ladies we have an interesting year ahead of us but give yourself a break on the tough days, give your kids a break as well their bad behavior 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why doesnt equal ever seem to work when sharing family Household duties?

Surviving Motherhood and being a working mom