Habits that move you to your authentic self


In my new book Authentically You, I talk about habits and how it takes 30 days to build a good habit. I also provide a 30-day guide to becoming more authentically you. So let's talk about habits and how they affect us. Ever since I started playing sports at the young age of 10, I started early on, learning about habits and routines. Each practice, I would do repetitive drills to learn the skill I needed. I had to get good grades in school to play sports, so I had a good routine of doing homework and studying each day. I wanted to be the best in my sport, so these habits continued all the way through college. And to get better and better at my sports or anything I was doing, I had to create good habits and routines. As I did this as a young girl, these habits transferred over to my adult life. When I talk about routines, I don't mean just having coffee every morning (which I do). But our habits will shape our present circumstances. To quote Ben Franklin, “Your net worth to the world is usually determined by what remains after your bad habits are subtracted from your good ones.” And bad habits are usually the reason behind many failed New Year's resolutions as well. But if you have a bad habit, don't give up my friend, there is hope for you! 

In my book, I talk about wanting to change a bad habit is very much on you wanting and having the will to change a bad habit. But I also talk about putting a plan in place and exit strategy on how that habit or change in your life has to happen. I also say in my book; “practice makes a change”. I do not like to say “practice makes perfect”, I don’t say this because we are human and we can't expect perfection, it's not realistic. Changing a habit or bad routine starts with practice. The more you do it, the better you get. 

When you think of changing a bad habit or routine, remember this, we can find positivity in routines, this allows me to be more prepared in all I do. For example, I have a very good morning routine with myself and my kids, so mornings are very low drama. I know exactly how much time I need to get ready and what I need to do to get my kids out the door without rushing and without everyone being a grump. When this routine changes the kid's struggle and chaos happens.

Here is the messy truth about life, surprises and inconsistency will absolutely happen in your world. That is just life. But with good habits/routines, these can have us prepared and secure, and this makes it much easier to handle those bumps in the road. 

So what new habit/routine do you want to implement in your life? Since it is summer, this might be just the right time to change up some things. 

Love, laugh, and live authentically!
     

Dr. Julie Ducharme



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why doesnt equal ever seem to work when sharing family Household duties?

Surviving Motherhood and being a working mom